Approximately 30% of students in North Branch Area Schools and Phoenix Academy are on free or reduced lunch. Many more do not meet the guidelines to qualify for free or reduced lunches. Viking Vittles works to minimize food insecurity for children without income restrictions.
The Backpack Programs
- The Backpack program distributes bags of food all year
- Bags usually contain 2 breakfast items, 2 lunch items, 2 snacks, a fruit, and a vegetable. During the summer, string cheese and fresh produce may also be available.
Summer food distribution
Bags of food will be available for pickup at:
- North Branch Central Park: Wednesdays, 10-12
- Trinity Lutheran Church, North Branch, Wednesdays, 3-5
- Stacy Lions Park, Thursdays, 4-6
School Year distribution
- Bags of food are distributed to children weekly at school.
- Parents need to enroll their child/children in the program
- No eligibility requirements.
- Serve high school and middle school students
- Students can select from food items, school supplies, personal care products, jackets, hats and gloves
- Check with school personnel about access to Care Closet
Donate to Vikings Vittles
Through Trinity Lutheran Church
- Donate online
- By check, with Viking Vittles in memo line. Send to PO Box 447, North Branch, MN 55056
Though Family Pathways
- By check, with Viking Vittles in memo line. Send to Family Pathways 6413 Oak St. North Branch, MN 55056
- By direct contribution of food, including excess garden produce. For every pound donated, Family Pathways will contribute $1 to Viking Vittles.
Viking Vittles has no paid staff, but relies on many volunteers to help feed children. You can fill bags, help with food distribution during the summer, deliver totes of food to the schools during the school year, or put bags in lockers at the elementary school.
- Sign Up online. It’s easy. Just click this link and find an open time when you would like to help.
- Email us at email@example.com for more information
- Call Mary Twitchell at 320-630-5040
If you would like to have someone come and speak to your organization about this program please email firstname.lastname@example.org.